Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Return of His Weirdness!


Ahh, the 80s. When you'd be glued to (not)MuchMusic and come across a Weird Al video. One thing that must be said - he had a certain pinache for making his stupid parodies work on-screen. Then came the 90s, when the videos got even better ("Amish Paradise" ruled! So did "Bedrock Anthem".)

But then came the 2000s, and Al videos became an afterthought. At least on (not)MuchMusic, where it used to be that whenever Al came up with a new album, he'd get 2 hours or so to plug it on "Al Music" (yes, I know it was a blatant ripoff of what he did on MTV, with "Al TV".)

The last album I remembered from him was "Running With Scissors" back in 1999, which was lame compared to his previous 90s efforts. "The Saga Begins" just never worked for me, although "Alberqurque" was kinda cute in a long-winded sort of way. (And you don't have to tell me about "Poodle Hat" - I know he did an album since, but I never heard one track or saw one video from it.)

Then yesterday I stumble around ytmnd.com (Why? Don't ask) and hear a clip from his latest track. Which of course, became a Google quest for more. How ironic a title for a tune that's being encouraged to download at will: "Don't Download This Song." Clever marketing ploy, Al - makes me want to buy your new CD. All you have to do is tell me where the slot is on my iPod to play it %]

If you haven't heard the track yet, head for dontdownloadthissong.com and download your own copy. While you're at it, check out the video too: at least in this day and age, we don't have to sit around and wait for (not)MuchMusic to air it. It's on Yahoo - a place normally avoided by me, except that it's the only place I found the video, which is hilarious, I'll add - good to see Al back.

No comments: